Monday, January 29, 2007

Danes and missing limbs

Back in Denmark. Already on the Stansted terminal shuttle I witness my fellow Danes practising the national sport, complaining. Since the train's on time, and there's plenty of seats, the only thing they can possible moan about it the fact that the gates are announced "so loud that even deaf people can hear it". Surely that's a good thing?

Getting into Kastrup airport, I'm as always impressed by the vast wooden floors and general tidiness and nice design, which gradually receeds as I move into less customised parts of Copenhagen.

The train mag has an interview with the clothes designer Malene Birger of the label Birger and Mikkelsen. She says she doesn't believe in compromises. I wonder if she's ever lived in the real world.

My dad says that over time you learn how to long for someone rather than miss them. I don't see the difference, I just feel like I'm missing a limb, because my boyfreind is not here with me. Perhaps he means that over time the limb groes out again, and then you merely long for that other person, but you can walk just fine without leaning on them.

I will try to sleep now, though I have no idea how to fall asleep on my own.

Comments:
Oh, I can see I am going to have to go and lurk through your archives and get the backstory here... I am pretty jealous of you being in Denmark, though...
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
You should't be. The majority af danes don't like foreigners. ;)
 
In a funny way, I think your dad has a point. I am missing someone right now too, but over time, I realised I miss the 'idea' of that person.

It does get better with time :) Hope you're sleeping better now..
 
@Kristin: I'm Danish myself, but after having lived abroad for a long time, I guess I sometimes don't feel Danish. It's great here at the moment though

Yz: Come on, don't say that! Im tryina convince myself and everyone else that they're very openminded and tolerant.

Cheryl: Its alreayd a bit better - am doing my best to remeber the romace of being apat and the logic reasons why it must be so : )
 
I don't know for how long you have been gone, but the last 10 years things has changed a lot in peoples minds here en Denmark. I am sure, you can experience tolerance if you go to the right places, but the general image has changed. I hope that image changes again.

Good luck with your limbs, by the way.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?