Monday, January 15, 2007

Fear rears its hooded head

I used to feel quite safe walking alone at night in London, but since a man was stabbed to death a couple of roads away from my house, I have become more careful.

After 11pm, I have been known to pick up bricks or sticks I find in the street, to defend myself against lurking rapists and muggers. I'm not sure if I could really punch someone in the face with a brick, but it makes me feel better.

So when I spotted a hoodie-clad guy walking behind me Friday night, I felt safe in the knowledge that I was clutching an old broomstick.

My fear of hoodies is, as most fears, largely unfounded and illogical: My boyfriend wears hooded tops all the time, but then, I might not have given him a chance if I'd met him in the street late at night.

I kept turning around to make sure that the suspicios looking guy was still at a safe distance. Turning around to check for the fifth time, the man waved at me and shouted ..........................


"Don't worry, I'm not a rapist".

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?