Thursday, January 11, 2007

Home and away

"Those who know about such things say that travel is of vital importance to shaping the mind, but one does not need to be an intellectual luminary to know that minds, how ever well-travelled, need to come back home now and then, because only there can they achieve and maintain a reasonable satisfactory sense of self". (Jose Saramago, "The Cave")

I think this is true.

All the migrants that I meet, both voluntary immigrants and refugees, seem to be unable to escape a sense of detachedness, a sense of missing something, like an arm or a leg.

It is definitely possible to create an identity as an "immigrant", a foreigner who enjoys the privilege of having access to two cultures, but suffers from being an eternal outsider.

But it is my impression, that no matter how much you emerge yourself into your new country, you always carry inside you this whole, this longing for your home.

Travelling and living abroad is one of the best ways to expand your mind, but living permanently in another country, or being an eternal traveller is a whole different ball game.

Comments:
To me, it seems, that when you're abroad your mind plays tricks with you. You tend to forget all the not-so-fantastic stuff, but your memories of the good stuff become even more fantastic (does this even make sense to you?)

You do your best to blend in with the people that your among, but you have a stronger feeling of your nationality - the things that makes you different from the ones that your among.

I learned, that I can live - and be happy - in many places, but there's only one place where I truely feel at home.

P.s with all this said, I am ready to "run away" again anytime...
 
I definitely know what you mean about forgetting the bad stuff about you home country, and that your "foreigness" makes you more aware of your national identity.

I also think, you can be happy in many places, but I feel that the happiness you find abroad is different to the one you feel "at home". Maybe the happiness you feel abroad is often created by the feeling of adventure and of being differnt to other people around you?

I think the difficulties start, when the novelty fades, and you have got used to the foerign country. People no longer see you as an exotic foreigner, and no one gives you special consideration or help. You have to cerate a daily life in a foreign country, and that can be ahrder than you think initially.
 
You're right. In the beginning the new country is "excotic" and fun, everything is just another adventure! It's like the early state of a relationship, you go deaf, dumb and blind for faults and the bad sides. Eventually you "fall out of love", and the every-day-life starts...

And it's the same thing starting all over again when you go home, you fall in love with DK all over again, and then the every-day-life starts there...

I do however think that you're responsible for creating the small adventures in your life wether you're abroad or not.

P.s. I appologize for misspellings and akward sentences.
 
To me it's the little things like holidays. Christmas is not a big deal where I am from, but I often get sympathetic looks for not being with my family.

When Chinese New Year comes, it's just another day for everyone else. Then it hits me, getting all sentimental and concious over how different I am.

Year after year passes, and I start longing for a 'familiar' type of 'happiness'.

This is a great post Marian, beautifully expressed. Thank you.
 
Chery: I know what you mean, that special days in your own country makes you more aware of you "foreigness". It must be even more so for you, Denmark and England are after all both European countries, and more alike than China and England.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?