Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Meeting a Fruit Oracle

"What do you know about fruit?” asks the old man, who is hanging by the fruit stall, and looks like he spends more time on fruit when it's fermented than when it's fresh.

What do I know about fruit?

“I know this orange is too soft” I say, and feel strangely obliged to reply.

“Too soft, that’s what you know?” his shoulders are shaking with laughter, and he sways dangerously towards the bananas.

For some strange reason, I feel deeply incompetent for not coming up with a better answer, and laugh apologetically, while I quickly pack the squashy oranges., and hurry over to the till.

“Get some kiwis, lady, they’re good for the blood” he shouts after me.

Are kiwi’s good for the blood?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?