Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The upper Class' love of champagne sables

Hunting for sale bargains in Selfridge’s home-department, a champagne sable takes me back to New Years Eve:

My boyfriend and I arrive pretty drunk to the third party of the night, where most of the guests are highly educated, most in the medical profession, and at this point, mostly pretty drunk too.

It always strikes me, how the upper class, who is thriving in Denmark, despite the fact that they do not exist according to the Danish people's self-image, enjoy letting the mask of politeness fall when they get drunk.

Amongst loosened bow ties, crunched up dresses and night-food game and cakes, a man with a mission shows up: He wants to show off his muscles to my boyfriend, but in good company you can't just roll up your sleeves, so he drags him into the kitchen and chops the heads of a couple of champagne bottles.

Then he takes my surprised boyfriend in his strong arms, and proclaims that the Danish Queen (God bless her) has asked the Danish people to embrace the foreigners amongst them, in her New Years Speech. All Danish people watch this speech at 6'0 clock on New Years Eve it's a tradition, I believe that even the anrkists in the notorios "Ungdomshus" put down their bricks to receive the pearls of wisdom she gathered in 2006. For once I am happy that my boyfriend hasn't learned Danish yet, and I quickly embrace the friendly muscle man, to stop him from talking. This results in a football-esque group hug and loud cheers, but I only have a small sip of champagne, cos I'm afraid there's glass splinters in it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?