Thursday, February 08, 2007

Finance fraud and rose tinted Copenhagen people

Guess what kind of part time job I've got? In a financial news agency! I got the job purely based on my previuos media job - all the other people who work there study finance or business or law, and say things like "put the equity numbers next to the BNP before tax income rent shares accumulation" and I just make an approving sound and pretend I understand. All the summaries and share info we write goes out to loads of important places, but luckily it gets edited first, so things like when I confuse billions with millions will be picked up. I would love for the Dansh stock market to crash because I chopped off five digits of a share value though. However, I'm not going to get that much influence.

It could also be that I got the job to even out the gender balance in the office, which now is ....15 men and 3 women. The other two are the secretaries.

I had my first lecture at uni today, with this very sweet American hippie lecturer who does a class on racism and literature. He's white, and everyone in the class is white. Everyone in Denmark is basically white. He was telling us about Harlem, as if none of us had ever met a black person before.

Otherwise Copenhagen is cool, I'm spending loads of time with my friends who all live in these trendy flats and study useless things. Apart form my flatmate. She has a dog and studies law. No, seriously, they're all great. It IS really cool here, guess I just sometimes get surprised by the fact I dont always feel completely Danish anymore.

Comments:
Congrats on your new job! Wish mine would come soon too. ;)

The opposite has happened to me. All my life I've never felt truly Chinese (can't speak it well) or Malaysian.

Being away made me realise there is more to just speaking a common language that binds us.
 
Yes, it's true there's this big cultural heritage thing and memories which creates a sense of nationality. It's very hard to pinpoint.
 
Sometimes I feel quite like an alien in my own country, and urge just to get the shit out of here. But then again ... Then I feel I would be the looser in that stupid game. In fact, everybody in this country would be the looser (even more than we allready are). Like we were when Omar Marzouk left.
 
yz: do u really despise Denmark that much? dont forget what the country has most likely done for u - provided u didnt get all ur education at private schools, have private healthcare and never use the large public libaries and swimmingpools.....?
 
It is not what the country (this big comany called Denmark), did or did not do for me. Its the xenofobia, I can't take.

I guess that makes me xenofobia-fobic. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?