Saturday, February 03, 2007

Kaffe to go and safe cycling

Kaffe to go - it says in a cafe I pass on my bike. I'm now riding my bike in Copenhagen, and am currently debating whether I should ignore the geeky image of bicycle helmets, or take it serious and risk my skull.

When you're older than 17 it can't possibly be embaressing to wear a helmet right? Wrong, in Copenhagen, it really carries a stigma. Maybe our former Prime minister Poul Nyrup is all to blame for that, as he was photographed in 92 with a ridicolously small helmet on.

Back to Kaffe to go - the mix of English and Danish really bugs my linguistic sense. It makes the language imprecise. I'm all for using foreign words if they ADD something to the language, and if they're used correctly.

Now, English words are used in Danish just to convey a sense of coolness or because people are too lazy to think of imaginative Danish translations.


Other Englsih words used frequently in Danish: Wellness (what the hell is that?) event, fuck (we do actualty have tons of Danish swear words) please, respite, take away, cool, nice, sweet, brain storm, In Real Life...........could go on for ever.

I'm currenly trying to introduce gå-kaffe (go-coffe) instead of Kaffe to go. Anyone want to join me?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?